Journeyperson Pipe Welder Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
San Diego, CA 92170-3308, US
Manufacturing & Maintenance
Job Description BAE Systems' San Diego Shipyard has multiple openings for Journeyperson Pipe Welders that will be tasked with assisting Pipe Fitters with piping fit-ups of various piping systems and configurations. Work will be performed on ships in all stages of repair and modernization.
- Pipe Welders will cut (torch) and weld metal surfaces or pipe using various types of welding equipment.
- Provide quality welding on socket weld pipe joints from 1/4" O.D. to 2" IPS and butt weld pipe joints from 1 1/2" IPS to 14" IPS.
- Weld processes will be performed on various materials in the shop (on table) as well as onboard the ship (in position).
- Pipe Welders are responsible for maintaining housekeeping, keeping worksite free of waste and keeping materials and equipment stowed in an orderly manner.
- The performance of other duties will be as assigned by Supervisors.
- Welding is performed on a wide variety of materials (Ferrous and Non-Ferrous) utilizing an even wider range of welding processes (GTAW, SMAW and FCAW).
- Providing direction to a pipe welding helper, if assigned, as needed to complete the assigned tasks.
- Work shifts and overtime as assigned. 4. Be accountable for completion of daily work assignments.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- Must have a high school diploma/GED with 4+ years of experience as a pipe welder OR equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must be able to interpret drawings, specifications, and Navy/MSC/ABS standard items and manuals.
- Must have a working knowledge of ship repair terminology and ship compartment naming convention.
- Must be physically and medically capable to wear all required personal protective equipment (PPE) required for the job as prescribed under OSHA standards. PPE includes hard hat, safety glasses, ear plugs, steel toe shoes, goggles, respirator, safety harness, safety line, flotation gear, etc.)
- Must be able to effectively confer job related information such as conditions found by writing condition reports that include recommended corrective action.
- Must have a thorough knowledge of SMAW, FCAW, and GMAW theory.
- Must be able to certify in P-2 open butt , and P-14 socket weld joint:
- FCAW OR Silver Brazing
Must possess a working knowledge of equipment and work processes used in marine pipe welding.
Must be able to operate and care for welding equipment, portable power tools, and hand tools used to accomplish assigned work.
Must be able to add, subtract, multiply, and divide whole numbers, fractions, and decimals.
Must understand the US customary and metric measurement systems.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Must be able to tour all vessels, piers, docks and work sites.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to: stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; and talk or hear.
The employee is occasionally required to sit.
SPECIFIC PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
May be required to demonstrate any or all requirements.
1. Lift/push/pull 75 lbs lbs on an occasional basis (0-33% of the day).
2. Lift/push/pull up to 20 lbs on a frequent basis (34-66% of the day).
3. Perform prolonged standing (2-3 hours). Bend, squat crouch, crawl and kneel.
4. Climb in a safe manner (climbing, includes stairs, scaffolding, ladders and ramps).
5. Work at a variety of levels and positions (ex. Waist, eye, above head).
6. Good balance while working on uneven surfaces and maneuvering obstacles.
7. Sufficient handgrip and coordination to carry and operate tools and equipment.
8. Access work areas through 18” x 36” openings and work in confined spaces for prolonged periods of time (33-66% of the day).
9. Respond to visual, verbal, and audible sounds/commands.
10. Work at heights above 12’ from ladders, scaffolding, and manlifts.
11. Fully extend the arm while reaching overhead, reaching out, reaching to the side and reaching down.
12. Perceive attributes of an object/material such as size, shape, temperature and texture by means of receptors in the hands and fingers.
13. Turn head from side to side and about on the vertical axis. Turn body at the waist from side to side and about the vertical axis.
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference. The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too. At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom