Journeyperson Machinist II Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
San Diego, CA 92170-3308, US
Manufacturing & Maintenance
Job Description BAE Systems is seeking a Journeyman Outside Machinists for our San Diego Shipyard!
The ideal candidate will be assigned hands-on responsibilities for the removal, installation and testing of main and auxiliary shipboard equipment including but not limited to: MRGs, pumps, hydraulics, steam equipment, valves, propellers, bearings, etc.
- Machinists may work in dry dock, shop or shipboard environments.
- Work occurs in various stages of repair and modernization of Naval Ships.
- Outside Machinists operate a wide variety of tools and machinery.
- May be required to assist and instruct Helper and Improver level Machinists as necessary.
- Performs additional related tasks as assigned.
Required Skills and Education
- Minimum 5+ years shipboard machinist experience
- Must be able to pass written Outside Machinist Journeyman exam
- General knowledge of ship layout and ability to read technical manuals
- Must be able to read precision tools (i.e: micrometers and verniers)
- Mechanical background required (i.e: diesel, testing, steam plant, shafting boring, etc)
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Rapid Gate pass
- Must be able to use hand tools and power tools safely and efficiently
- Must be flexible to working all shifts (1st, 2nd, 3rd)
- Must have own tools
(Must be able to work a variety of shifts)
- 1st 6:00am- 2:30pm
- 2nd 3:00pm-11:00pm
- Must pass BAE Systems Drug and Physical Exam
- Ability to work in dry dock, shop and ship board environments
- Must be able to work at heights, in confined spaces and have the ability to climb staircases and ladders of varying sizes
- Must be able to lift 35-55lbs on a daily basis
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
We celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom