IT Systems Engineer Manager Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
McLean, VA 22102, US
Engineering & Technology
BAE Systems is seeking a talented, experienced Systems Engineering Manager to join our Federal IT team in the Northern Virginia area. The selected candidate will provide technical leadership and guidance for engineering, development, and sustainment activities to support the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) initiatives. This position is customer facing and will provide comprehensive System Engineering oversight and guidance to deliver a broad range of IT solutions to modernize legacy systems, develop and deploy new technical solutions, secure networks and assets, and continually improve effectiveness of mission-critical and mission-support functions.
The Engineering Manager will provide the planning, direction, coordination, and control necessary to accomplish all work requirements, manage, and oversee all technical activities performed by contractor personnel, including subcontractors, to satisfy the contract requirements. The Engineering Manager is responsible for all technical performance and will serve as the program’s point-of-contact for technical matters and issues.
- Oversee the technical program team in successfully executing the contract
- Responsible for providing engineering expertise and guidance for the design, innovation development, implementation, tech-refresh, and sustainment of IT/hardware solutions that enhance overall system performance and availability
- Lead the research, analysis, testing, solution design and implementation planning of IT/hardware solutions and the modernization of existing equipment sets in the field
- Drive strategic technological innovation, demonstrating a breadth and depth of knowledge in all things related to a complex matrixed systems, technology refresh, and Operations and Maintenance operations
- Provide technical knowledge and analysis of high-level functional systems analysis, design, and integration advice on complex matters that require expert level knowledge of the subject matter for effective implementation
- Participate in planning activities, including bid and proposals, schedule development, and budget preparation.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- 12+ years' experience engineering and architecting border security solutions for land, sea, or air ports of entry and inspection checkpoints
- Demonstrated expertise in systems engineering, including requirements analysis and system architecture design
- Demonstrated experience leading design and implementation of complex solutions on a large Program (200M+)
- Demonstrated experience modernizing complex enterprise networks and border security systems
- Demonstrates integrity, respect, and a commitment to excellence, collaboration, agility, and diversity
- Experience organizing, directing, and managing contract operation support functions involving multiple, complex, and interrelated project tasks
- Experience in middleware, software, and firmware maintenance activities, as well as upgrades, patches, and technology refresh.
- Experience effectively communicating at senior levels within a customer organization
- Ability to collaborate with Program Management and customers in forming strategies to improve performance, reliability, and cost effectiveness
- Experience mentoring staff in order to maintain high levels of performance and positive morale
- Knowledge of industry/government best practices
- U.S. Citizenship required and ability to obtain a CBP Entry on Duty (EOD) based on Full Background Investigation
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills Preferred Qualifications
- Master's Degree in Systems Engineering, Information Technology, Computer Science, or related Engineering disciplines.
- Demonstrated experience in border security platforms, engineering, and operations with emphasis on DHS capabilities
- Experience with NIST SP 800 series or ISO 27000 series documents for information security management and risk assessment
- Demonstrated experience in Secure DevOps/Agile concepts and processes
- Cloud Architect, DevOps or SysOps Associate or Professional Certification
- Current CBP EOD preferred
General Experience and Education
- 12+ Years’ Experience with BS
- 10+ Years’ Experience with MS
- 7+ Years’ Experience with PhD
About BAE Systems Intelligence & Security BAE Systems Intelligence & Security, based in McLean, Virginia, designs and delivers advanced defense, intelligence, and security solutions that support the important missions of our customers. Our pride and dedication shows in everything we do—from intelligence analysis, cyber operations and IT expertise to systems development, systems integration, and operations and maintenance services. Knowing that our work enables the U.S. military and government to recognize, manage and defeat threats inspires us to push ourselves and our technologies to new levels. That’s BAE Systems. That’s Inspired Work. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression. To see Inspired Work in action, visit www.baesystems.com and follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/baesystemsintel.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom