Guidance Navigation Controls Engineer Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Minneapolis, MN 55421-1402, US
Engineering & Technology
Job Description BAE Systems is looking for an experienced Guidance Navigation and Controls Engineer to work on a team of GNC Engineers solving complex problems and bringing new technologies to market. This is an on-site or hybrid on-site position in Minneapolis working a 9/80 schedule with every other Friday off.
This is a technical position performing complex guidance, navigation and control design and analysis for precision guided munition systems. The primary focus of this position is navigation solution design, implementation, test, and deployment within the GNC group. The Guidance, Navigation and Control Group is responsible for all requirements, trade studies, algorithm designs and performance analyses required to develop products that navigate, guide and fly precisely and accurately. Their scope includes aerodynamic analysis and model development, flight control system design and analysis, system and system of system performance analysis, actuation system and inertial measurement unit analysis, aided navigation system design and analysis, mid-course and terminal guidance design and optimization, as well as flight test support, data reduction and verification.
- GNC System design, analysis, modeling, and simulation
- Apply knowledge of estimation techniques, such as Kalman Filtering, to provided aided navigation solutions, target state estimates and other observers for guided flight
- Apply digital signal processing techniques and navigation system error analysis to verify sensor and filter performance
- Conduct flight system performance analysis including nonlinear modeling, digital control, and system effectiveness analysis
- Perform post flight reconstruction and analysis to verify system flight test performance and validate flight simulation models
- Develop, modify, and maintain
- Software tools to include evaluation of nominal and Monte Carlo flight conditions at various levels of modeling fidelity
- GPS and telemetry processing tools for the reduction and analysis of flight test data
- Prepare presentations, reports, research, and other contract deliverables related to designs, analyses, and tests performed
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- Typically a Master’s Degree in Electrical, Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering or Applied Mathematics or Applied Physics and 6+ years of experience in Guidance, Navigation or Controls theory, test and analysis
- Proven skills at developing, testing, and refining flight algorithms for guided projectiles or other high integrity flight systems (Navigation filters, track filters, 6DOF fly-out, autopilot approaches, guidance algorithms, tactical code development, and engagement simulations)
- Developed and demonstrated advanced aided navigation solutions with strapdown inertial measurement units (IMU’s)
- Experience performing systems engineering trade studies, analysis of alternatives, sensitivity analysis, etc.
- Relevant experience developing and verifying models of concept flight systems and subsystems that include,
- Seekers, radar systems, GPS/GNSS, launch platforms, inertial measurement units, magnetometers
- Navigation, upfinding, and air data estimation solutions
- Proficiency with modeling and simulation using Simulink and analysis and optimization in Matlab
- Working knowledge of C/C++
- Demonstrated presentation skills and experience interfacing with customer
- Proficiency with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Position requires a proactive, self-starting, independent, flexible engineer with excellent interpersonal skills
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Relevant experience developing and verifying models of concept flight systems and subsystems that include
- Airframes, flight dynamics, environmental models, tail and canard control actuation systems
- Guidance, autopilot, fault detection, automated mode logic, and fuzing solutions
- Simulated complex missions in real-time and non-real-time for requirements analysis, stability analysis, and mission effectiveness analysis, and has developed, tested and delivered code for guided munition or other flight systems.
- Master’s Degree or PhD in Electrical, Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering or Applied Mathematics or Applied Physics
- Recent task management experience in an engineering development environment (schedule and budget tracking/work package management)
- Current Department of Defense Secret Clearance
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference.
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
At BAE Systems, we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where employees are valued and feel like they belong. We are conscious of the need for all employees to see themselves reflected at every level of the company and know that in order to unlock the full potential of our workforce, everyone must feel confident being their best, most sincere self and be equipped to thrive. We provide impactful professional development experiences to our employees and invest in social impact partnerships to uplift communities and drive purposeful change. Here you will find significant opportunities to do meaningful work in an environment intentionally designed to be one where you will learn, grow and belong.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom