GMD SITR - Chief Engineer Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Huntsville, AL 35806, US
Engineering & Technology
Job Description BAE Systems is seeking a senior and experienced Chief Engineer to join our team on successful award of the upcoming Missile Defense Agency (MDA) Ground-based Midcourse Defense (GMD) System Integration, Test and Readiness (SITR) contract. Currently in the pre-solicitation phase, an award is anticipated in the September 2022 timeframe.
The GMD SITR Chief Engineer reports directly to the GMD SITR Program Director and is the Engineering leader of the GMD SITR program. In this role the Chief Engineer works directly with the GMD Chief Engineer and associated technical leaders supporting the GMD Program Office’s processes for developing, building, verifying, and delivering the GMD Component and Subsystem products required to furnish a GMD Element capability. The GMD SITR Chief Engineer provides leadership vision and process rigor within the GMD SITR team, collaborates across the GMD Futures construct, and is a key stakeholder within the GMD working groups and decision boards. The GMD SITR Chief Engineer will be a key leader in enabling and executing the GMD digital engineering transformation working closely with the GMD Program Office in support of their digital engineering and model based systems engineering initiatives.
The successful candidate will have previous significant experience as an engineering leader, leading a team of hundreds of engineers in various disciplines, specifically in support of the development and integration of a major weapon system. He/she will have a detailed understanding of the technology in the MDA’s Command and Control, Battle Management, and Communications (C2BMC), GMD sensor and supporting sensors, Ground Support & Fire Control Systems and Interceptor components. He/she will also have previous experience with the architectural design of the Missile Defense System (MDS) as well as technology insertions.
The successful candidate will reside in Huntsville, AL with the BAE Systems GMD SITR Program Director and core program team aligned with the GMD Program Office.
The Chief Engineer Will:
- Have previous experience working on MDA/GMD programs in an engineering leadership role.
- Lead the technical transition from the incumbent contractor to BAE Systems and will be the chief technical authority for the GMD SITR effort.
- Have day-to-day responsibility for the development of BAE System’s GMD SITR technical vision and execution approach.
- Lead all engineering efforts within the GMD SITR program and collaborate across the GMD Futures contractors and their technical leaders to drive program efficiencies and enable a digital transformation.
- Develop and execute the engineering processes and plans aligned to the GMD Program Office plans.
- Be a key stakeholder in element and MDS level working groups and decision boards in support of increment development, testing, fielding and sustainment
- Possess an in-depth understanding of the MDS and the various C2, Sensor, and effector elements.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- Masters of Science in Engineering or a related science discipline.
- 15 years of progressive technical management and/or engineering leadership experience.
- Previous professional experience working on MDA/GMD programs in either an engineering, or technology development and integration role.
- Deep understanding of MDA organization, programs, priorities, and initiatives.
- Demonstrated success in being able to work across programs and/or organizations to achieve common goals.
- Able to work independently, demonstrate strong initiative, and organize all tasking with minimal supervision.
- Possess strong communication skills (oral and written) as well as the ability to interact with team members, external SMEs and consultants, and various levels of customer and internal leadership and management.
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- PhD in Engineering or physics.
- Digital Engineer and Model Based System Engineering experience particularly in weapon system integration.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification.
- Former operational experience with missile defense systems.
- Active Top Secret security clearance.
About BAE Systems Intelligence & Security BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference. Intelligence & Security (I&S), based in McLean, Virginia, designs and delivers advanced defense, intelligence, and security solutions that support the important missions of our customers. Our pride and dedication shows in everything we do—from intelligence analysis, cyber operations and IT expertise to systems development, systems integration, and operations and maintenance services. Knowing that our work enables the U.S. military and government to recognize, manage and defeat threats inspires us to push ourselves and our technologies to new levels. At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom