GEOINT Engineering Software Tools Lead Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
San Diego, CA 92127-1874, US
Engineering & Technology
Job Description Because this role involves a combination of collaborative/in-person and independent work, it will take the form of a hybrid work format, with time split between working onsite and remotely.
BAE is seeking an Engineering Software Tools Lead to provide technical support and improvements on computer systems for Defense Industry Software Engineering computing environment. The role of the employee is to apply technical computing standards to moderately complex problems, plan and execute subtasks of larger projects which support the Software engineering team, implement subtasks through managed processes and provide day-to-day support for the Software Engineers and their laboratories.
The Software Tools Lead is also responsible for working with programs to properly obtain approval for software downloads and ensuring the software approval process is operating at optimal efficiency. The software approval portion of the position includes reviewing software End User License Agreements (EULAs) and requesting assistance from contracts and legal when necessary.
Principal duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide Atlassian, server (Linux) focused support, application licensing, configuration, and resolving system issues of the Atlassian suite e.g. Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket, etc.
- Provide technical support in the areas of application software management, application automations, licensing, laboratory configuration, and resolving issues. Consult with senior and/or lead analysts for assistance with problem resolution requiring a higher level of technical expertise.
- Provide or develop successful automation techniques supporting improvements in customer processes, application installation or applications usage.
- Assists in analyzing, diagnosing, and solving technical problems of moderate scope with computer hardware and software applications, operating systems, and connectivity to develop and implement or simply make recommendations for technical solutions.
- Analyze software applications, hardware and operating systems to develop user best practices or find proper corrective action to minimize current and future negative impact on the user community while ensuring solutions are consistent with operational standards.
- Provides application management of assigned suite of engineering applications. Actions include, maintaining life-cycle data in management database, upgrade suite to enterprise version and integrate to company standards, react to customers and respond to application optimization efforts.
- Assist in the design, development, installation, monitoring, evaluation of software and systems to maintain optimum performance.
- Provide specialized support to engineering software development teams. Demonstrate ability to implement OS and application upgrades. Trouble-shoot subsystem issues identifying component failure and resolve issues & provide guidance to team members.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge and a basic understanding of industry practices, trends and application products to continually enhance the computing capabilities.
- Work with business areas throughout the company regarding the use of Open Source Software (OSS) including updates to the Open Source policies.
- Understanding of process flows and business process maps, value streams, and the ability to translate customer requirements to projects and workflows.
- Review and approve software licenses for all tools and add-ons used by the team.
- Work with the local security team to manage unauthorized data disclosures.
- Provide on-call or after-hours support of critical systems.
* Please note that pursuant to a government contract, this specific position requires US citizenship status.Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- A high level of general educational development normally acquired through completion of a four year program in Management of Information Systems or Computer Science.
- To achieve and maintain a high level of customer satisfaction, the applicant shall demonstrate a very high level of written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with Microsoft and Redhat operating systems, application installations within a networked environment and experience troubleshooting network issues.
- Demonstrated experience providing support to customers, basic conflict resolution techniques, influencing people, attention to detail, multi-tasking and inferencing skills.
- Excellent documentation skills for processes, issues & resolutions.
- Ability to perform trade studies and evaluations for various software tools.
- Experience working with appropriate scripting languages and operating systems software (e.g. Perl, Python, Ruby, PowerShell, Bash)
- If not Security + certified, must be willing to obtain certification within first year of hire using on-line course work and exam costs provided by the company.
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Experience with Atlassian Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket, Mattermost and CI/CD tools such as GitLab, Azure DevOps, Jenkins, etc.
- Customer support experience with understanding of Service Level agreements and use of enterprise IT service management application.
- Experience with application installations and upgrades within Client Server architecture.
- In the future this candidate may need to receive a security clearance.
- ITILv3 certification or understanding of ITIL concepts.
- Familiarity with cybersecurity standards e.g. NIST SP 800-171.
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference. Electronic Systems (ES) is the global innovator behind BAE Systems’ game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere – from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact – for our customers and the communities we serve.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
At BAE Systems, we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where employees are valued and feel like they belong. We are conscious of the need for all employees to see themselves reflected at every level of the company and know that in order to unlock the full potential of our workforce, everyone must feel confident being their best, most sincere self and be equipped to thrive. We provide impactful professional development experiences to our employees and invest in social impact partnerships to uplift communities and drive purposeful change. Here you will find significant opportunities to do meaningful work in an environment intentionally designed to be one where you will learn, grow and belong.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom