Finance Director - San Diego Ship Repair Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
San Diego, CA 92170-3308, US
Finance & Accounting
The finance organization is a trusted business partner delivering information and innovative solutions for decision-making in order to deliver quality products and capabilities to our customers. We are committed to employee growth and development, allowing employees to build a long term career at BAE Systems. In addition to challenging day to day assignments, employees are encouraged to pursue special projects, participate in formal and informal mentoring programs and networking events, and rotate into different roles with increasing levels of responsibility. BAE Systems also provides employees with opportunities to engage with and positively impact the internal and external community in which we work.
As the San Diego Ship Repair Finance Director, you will lead a team of Program Financial Analysts, Billing, Data Center, and Indirect Budget personnel and assume financial responsibility for the whole shipyard which totals hundreds of millions of dollars in annual sales. You will be expected to interface with multiple functional and program management leaders, providing all financial support required to their larger teams. You will also be expected to effectively manage and lead your Finance staff comprised of ~10 employees.
Key responsibilities include:
- Act as the finance trusted business partner and advisor to the San Diego Ship Repair organization.
- Provide financial oversight, direction, and strategic guidance to the members of the team.
- Provide regular communication and presentation of financial data to leaders in an accurate, concise, and understandable manner.
- Lead, mentor, and develop an effective and technically capable finance team, driving program metrics and key performance indicators.
- Manage all Shipyard financial performance, forecasting, and reporting of key Financial Salients – Bookings, Orders, Revenue, Profit, and Cash.
- Lead Financial Performance and Reporting to include the monthly Financial Closing activities, Program Performance Reviews (PPR), Monthly Business Reviews (MBR), Quarterly Business Reviews (QBR), Forecasting (Annual Operating Plan (AOP), Integrated Business Planning (IBP1 & IBP2), Ad-Hoc Variance Analysis, Financial Controls/COSA Oversight, and Controllable Indirect Spend Tracking & Reporting.
- Manage employee development and recognition (annual reviews, training, employee recognition activities, etc.).
- High level of support to proposal activities.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, or Economics with 12 years of relevant experience; or equivalent experience
- Experience in Ship Yard, Defense, Government Contracting, or related industry
- Experience with Fixed-Price Contracting
- Advanced knowledge of Program Finance, General Accounting, Budgeting and Forecasting, and Financial Controls
- Able to develop and drive strategic plans and objectives
- Able to provide objective leadership to cross-functional teams
- Able to formulate and present effective communications (orally and in written form)
- Capable of efficient and relevant decision-making
- Proficient in developing relationships across functional lines
- Strong interpersonal skills to interact with diverse work teams
- Able to support change and drive process improvements
- Experience in directing, developing, and mentoring staff
- Experience with MS Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Graduate Degree a plus
- Multi-disciplined financial background a plus
- Experience in Ship Yard a plus
- Experience in Earned Value management (EVM) a plus
- Understanding of Cost Accounting Standards (CAS) a plus
- Understanding of Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) a plus
- Experience with Government Compliance, Disclosure Statements, and Pricing Requirements a plus
- Experience working in a matrixed environment, interfacing with high-level internal and external leadership a plus
- Experience with CostPoint or Cognos a plus
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference.
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom