External Communications Manager Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Kingsport, TN 37660-1048, US
Job Description BAE Systems Ordnance Systems Inc. (OSI) has an incredible story to tell – from our mission to our people. This position reports directly to the OSI Communications Manager, and is responsible for planning and execution of external communications strategies, programs, and tactics that promote, protect, and enhance the reputation and capabilities of BAE Systems OSI.
We are looking for the right teammate to join a small but perfectly formed Communications team: they need to be passionate about our mission, collaborative and creative, and a self-starter. This role has a broad range of responsibilities that support national security, and we are looking for a candidate to make an immediate impact at a leading defense company with a global footprint.
- The External Communications Manager will take a leading role with media at the local level. This includes drafting and deploying media statements and releases, as well as in-person engagements. Additionally, he or she be responsible for helping the company identify issues on the horizon and prepare for them.
- They will be responsible for developing and executing employer brand campaigns in partnership with the OSI Director of HR and recruitment marketing.
- They will be responsible for developing and managing social media campaign strategy.
- They will coordinate across the business to manage the public release approval process for news releases and other key collateral and content.
- The External Communications Manager plays a key role in preparing for and executing in a crisis scenario, partnering with site and business leaders.
- The External Communications Manager will work closely with the Government Relations team, as well as communications and program teams across the sector, to support program-related campaigns.
- They will proactively track and measure the performance of OSI’s external communications vehicles and strategies for inclusion in the Quarterly OSI Measurement Report.
- They will take a leading role in supporting Community Investment across the business.
- They will write and support the execution of key strategic internal communications. There will be an opportunity for cross-functional training within the OSI communications team between external and internal communications.
- They will manage internal executive communications support for the General Manager at the Radford Army Ammunition Plant, and take a leading role in managing external communication support for key OSI Senior Leadership Team members.
- They will need to demonstrate strong collaboration behaviors, both within the OSI business area but also with the customer and colleagues in the corporate communications function.
Areas of expertise: Writing / Social MediaRequired Education, Experience, & Skills Bachelor's Degree and 6 years related experience.
Strong communications experience with media partners.
Experience running social media campaigns.
Experience managing in crisis situations.
Advanced writing and speaking abilities. About BAE Systems Platforms & Services BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference.
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom