Experienced Opto-Mechanical Engineer Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Honolulu, HI 96813, US
Engineering & Technology
Job Description Engineering lead on a multi-disciplinary design team with focus in mechanical engineering for multi-million dollar electro-optical (EO) imaging and laser applications. Work includes developing concepts and solutions for EO systems that meet Department of Defense customer requirements. Primary product applications include EO imaging and reconnaissance systems.
This is an opportunity to contribute in developing cutting edge technology.
**Please note that pursuant to a government contract, this specific position requires US citizenship status**
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- MS or PhD degree in Mechanical Engineering with two to four years experience or BS degree with six years of experience in sensor development.
- Proficiency with mechanical modeling design tools, such as Creo ProEngineer.
- Strong skills in oral and written communication and the ability to present technical subjects clearly in team meetings and project reviews. Ability to explain key system concepts and testing protocols to other engineers and technicians with optical, mechanical, electronics and software specialties.
- US citizenship required. Ability to acquire secret clearance.
- Ability to apply principles of mechanical engineering to design new concepts and solutions in product development for airborne reconnaissance and remote sensing applications in harsh environmental conditions.
- Well versed in mechanical design modeling, thermal and structural analyses.
- Engineering responsibility for assigned projects in an IPT environment for EO design, analysis, and simulation.
- Ability to independently analyze and evaluate a design concept, to produce realistic assessment of risks and to develop strategies for mitigating major risks to the projects.
- Ability to lead a technical team, coordinate and direct work lower level engineers. Provide schedule and costs estimates to support planning, and material to support presentation and proposal efforts.
- Willingness and ability to perform "hands-on" technical work in laboratory and field environments involving electro-optical assembly, optical alignment, system testing, data collection and analysis.
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Experience with Optical design tools for MatLab for numerical simulations and data/image processing and analysis highly desired.
- Experience with high powered lasers in optical systems, with specific experience in speckle interferometry is highly desirable
- Demonstrated leadership roles in project engineering, technical, and collaborative team environments.
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference. Electronic Systems (ES) is the global innovator behind BAE Systems’ game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere – from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact – for our customers and the communities we serve. At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom