Engineering Software Tools Lead Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
San Diego, CA 92127-1874, US
Engineering & Technology
Job Description BAE Systems, Inc. is seeking an Engineering Software Tools Lead for a datacenter and cloud computing engineering group. This group supports software engineering computing environment for multiple programs, Research & development projects, Initiatives, and proposal efforts across the business area.
This role would be responsible for availability, latency, performance, efficiency, change management, monitoring, emergency response, and capacity planning for the engineering tools that provide day-to-day support for software and systems engineering development. The candidate is expected to have a good understanding of how to install, operate and maintain a wide variety of software tools, such as Atlassian tools (Confluence, Bitbucket, Jira, Jira Service Desk, FishEye/Crucible), DevSecOps tools (Jenkins, GitLab, Azure DevOps), other collaboration tools (Mattermost chat).
The Software Tools Lead is also responsible for working with programs to properly obtain approval for software downloads and ensuring the software approval process is operating at optimal efficiency. The software approval portion of the position includes reviewing software End User License Agreements (EULAs) and requesting assistance from contracts and legal teams when necessary.
Job responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Test, evaluate, deploy, monitor, configure & troubleshoot software tools to support software engineering teams
- On-board new tenants/engineers on the tools and create, document, follow best practices or processes for doing so
- Work with business areas throughout the company regarding the use of Open Source Software (OSS) including updates to the Open Source policies
- Understanding of process flows and business process maps, value streams, and the ability to translate customer requirements to projects and workflows
- Review and approve software licenses for all tools and add-ons used by the team
- Work with the local security team to manage unauthorized data disclosures
- Provide on-call or after-hours support of critical systems
- Document evaluation results, configuration for new and existing systems, changes, best practices, processes, issues & resolutions
- Actively participate in incident response and root-cause analysis, support a blameless post-mortems culture
- Document root-cause analysis and offer solutions to prevent future tools issues/outages
- Work with Industrial Security to develop and apply hardening configurations for systems for classified use to RMF requirements
- Automate repetitive tasks to eliminate toil and drive consistency + repeatability
- Participate in creating customized scripts/mechanisms to evaluate, monitor and report tools usage statistics
- Provide or develop successful automation techniques supporting improvements in customer processes, application installation or applications usage
- Please note that pursuant to a government contract, this specific position requires US citizenship status
Required Skills and Education
- Knowledge of Linux and Windows operating systems, application installations within a networked environment and experience troubleshooting basic network issues
- Demonstrated experience providing support to customers, basic conflict resolution techniques, influencing people, attention to detail, multi-tasking and inferencing skills
- Excellent documentation skills for processes, issues & resolutions
- Ability to perform trade studies and evaluations for various software tools
- Experience working with appropriate scripting languages and operating systems software (e.g. Perl, Python, Ruby, PowerShell, Bash)
- Should be customer service oriented, attentive to detail, self-motivated and work well in teams
- Need to be willing to respond to occasional off-hours outages and take part in subsequent service restoration efforts
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
Preferred Skills and Education
- Experience with Atlassian Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket, Mattermost and CI/CD tools such as GitLab, Azure DevOps, Jenkins, etc.
- Security+ certification or similar
- Customer support experience with understanding of Service Level agreements and use of enterprise IT service management application
- ITILv3 certification or understanding of ITIL concepts
- Familiarity with federal cybersecurity standards e.g. NIST SP 800-171 or 800-53
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems BAE Systems Electronic Systems is the global innovator behind game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere – from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact – for our customers and the communities we serve.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom