Electrical & Instrumentation Technician Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Kingsport, TN 37660-1048, US
Manufacturing & Maintenance
Job Description The successful candidate will possess a diverse maintenance background with considerable depth of experience in troubleshooting and repairing a variety of industrial production and utility equipment in a continuous manufacturing environment.
Primary responsibilities include: troubleshooting and immediate corrective maintenance for chemical production and plant utility equipment including: motors, VFD's, PLC's control systems, instrumentation, valves, scales, secondary power distribution, and elevators. Must be able to utilize engineering drawings to troubleshoot equipment/systems, identify appropriate job materials, assist Line Crew, and communicate effectively with customers, management, and others in the department. Background in the chemical industry preferred. Strong aptitude for learning new skills and a desire to be a continuous learner required.
This position will work with Shift Electricians and Control Systems Technicians to learn about all areas of the plant including explosives production, acids production, steam & air utilities, and water services. OJT coupled with classroom training, lab exercises, and testing will be utilized to ensure effectiveness of training and abilities. Training will be conducted on day and night shifts. This is a transitional role to prepare an individual for a future shift maintenance role (day and/or night as required).
- Learn to serve as a first responder to plant radios calls for immediate electrical or instrument maintenance support.
- Learn processes for operational shutdown preparation and post maintenance shutdown turnover.
- Learn to prioritize service requests for timely completion.
- Test, troubleshoot, & repair of electrical and pneumatic instrumentation that monitor/control temperature, humidity, flow, level, pressure, pH, and conductivity in continuous manufacturing and plant utility applications.
- Test, repair and maintain: elevators, switchgear, high current breakers, and high voltage pumps.
- Maintain electrical infrastructure including secondary power distribution, and motor controls.
- Assist with project check-out and commissioning activities.
- Help maintain facility lighting systems.
- Completion of assigned work orders and preventive maintenance tasks.
- Effectively document corrective maintenance notes for CMMS program.
- Accurately record/report job time for KRONOS system.
- Operate fork lift, man lift; use hand tools and electronic test equipment including: multi-meters, calibrators, communicators, process meter, and calibration test standards.
- Assist other crafts – Shift Mechanics, Explosive Maintenance, Control System Technicians, & Line Crew.
- Ability to use electrical schematics, single lines, P&ID’s, shop mathematics, and handbook formulas.
- Perform complicated duties or assignments involving a fairly comprehensive knowledge of equipment/materials and process to meet customer, quality, and performance standards.
- Maintain a working knowledge of National Electric Code (NEC), NFPA, and OSHA Safety Procedures.
- Communicate frequently and effectively with department supervision and operating departments.
- Lock-out/tag-out and disable all energy sources for safe work on equipment.
- Work independently and with limited after-hours or weekend support.
- Adherence to all Plant Protection Standards, PPE requirements, Company Policies, & Guidelines.
- Other duties as determined by Team Leader or Department Manager.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- High school diploma or GED with Certified Journeyman Electrician completed 4 year technical electrical apprenticeship program or equivalent.
- Associates degree in Electronics, Electrical Technology, or Electromechanical Technology is highly preferred.
- Ability to work 12 Hour Shifts, will train on first shift.
- Willing to work a flexible schedule including filling in on nights or weekends when needed.
- Five years minimum combined experience in industrial maintenance / utility / construction / OEM check-out & start-up.
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Experience with basic troubleshooting, repairs, configuration, and calibration of industrial instrumentation.
- Experience working with industrial automation.
- Associates degree in Electronics, Electrical Technology, or Electro-mechanical Technology preferred.
- Prior work experience in a chemical or hazardous material production facility.
- Degrees in-process and industrial / military apprenticeships considered.
Full-Time Salary Range: $20800 - $416000
Please note: This range is based on our market pay structures. However, individual salaries are determined by a variety of factors including, but not limited to: business considerations, local market conditions, and internal equity, as well as candidate qualifications, such as skills, education, and experience.
Employee Benefits: At BAE Systems, we support our employees in all aspects of their life, including their health and financial well-being. Regular employees scheduled to work 20+ hours per week are offered: health, dental, and vision insurance; health savings accounts; a 401(k) savings plan; disability coverage; and life and accident insurance. We also have an employee assistance program, a legal plan, and other perks including discounts on things like home, auto, and pet insurance. Our leave programs include paid time off, paid holidays, as well as other types of leave, including paid parental, military, bereavement, and any applicable federal and state sick leave. Employees may participate in the company recognition program to receive monetary or non-monetary recognition awards. Other incentives may be available based on position level and/or job specifics.
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. Platforms & Services designs, develops, produces, supports, maintains, modernizes and upgrades armored combat vehicles, wheeled vehicles, naval guns, surface ship combatants, commercial vessels, missile launchers, artillery systems, military ordnance, and protective wear and armor. Equal Opportunity Employer: Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom