Electrical Engineering Design Specialist Intern-Spring/Summer 2023 Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Sterling Heights, MI 48312, US
Engineering & Technology
As an intern you will participate in our nationwide Internship & Co-Op Program, LEAP, where you will have the opportunity to Learn, Engage, Apply, and Progress within the company. You will also have access to additional benefits such as, networking with BAE Systems employees and other students, participating in exciting real-world projects, joining exclusive informational sessions with senior leaders, and expanding mentorship opportunities and career development.
BAE Systems is tasked with designing and implementing new product and technology to Combat Mission Systems (CMS) program. In this position, you will be supporting the Combat Mission Systems Business at our Sterling Heights, MI facility. Relocation will not be offered, and housing is not provided.
As an Electrical Engineering Designer Intern:
- you will work closely with electrical engineering staff or electrical designers to support one or more aspects of the Combat Vehicle design/build process, which may include:
- Generating or updating engineering models, drawings, specifications, or other related documentation
- Perform design and drafting of both electrical and mechanical aspects of electrical/electronic equipment using PTC Creo
- Create designs and drawings of electrical and electro/mechanical components, harness assemblies, and installations using PTC Creo and Creo Cabling
- Collaborate with Electrical and Mechanical design teams to develop and integrate complex vehicle systems
- Aid in the documentation of new or existing 3D models as well as loading models to the document management system using PTC Creo.
- Research vehicle subsystems, such as system architecture, cable interconnect diagrams, electronic and electrical enclosures, to gain a general understanding of implementation in military vehicles.
- Gain hands on combat vehicle experience through review, installation, and/or testing.
Electrical Engineering Designer interns who support Combat Vehicle Programs at BAE Systems will typically be assigned to support areas and components within Electrical Engineering such as: electrical power generation, distribution and storage, cabling, C4ISR (Command, Control, Computer, Communications, Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance), vehicle displays, vehicle databuss (CANBus, Ethernet), transducers, or other sensors, actuators, motors, or lighting. As a Designer intern within the Electrical Engineering organization, you will be part of an integrated product team in the development of a vehicle platform.
We provide each Design intern with an opportunity to gain some hands-on experience with a combat vehicle.
Internship is initially for May 2023 to August 2023 but could be continuous. This job is posted for all candidates for full-time assignments (40 hours / week).
Required Education, Experience, & Skills Required Skills/Education include:
- Currently enrolled in an accredited college/technical institute pursuing a degree in Electrical, Electro/Mechanical Design Engineering, or related field.
- Experience with CAD.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with others.
- Good organizational, planning and follow-up skills.
- Proficient with PC and MS Office Suite.
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills Preferred Skills and Education:
- Completed a minimum of one year of associates degree
- Interested in a career in the defense industry
- Experience with CAD, specifically PTC Creo or Pro/Engineer.
- Hands-on experience repairing/maintaining/building electrical/mechanical systems.
- Interest in working with a multidisciplinary team
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference.
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
At BAE Systems, we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where employees are valued and feel like they belong. We are conscious of the need for all employees to see themselves reflected at every level of the company and know that in order to unlock the full potential of our workforce, everyone must feel confident being their best, most sincere self and be equipped to thrive. We provide impactful professional development experiences to our employees and invest in social impact partnerships to uplift communities and drive purposeful change. Here you will find significant opportunities to do meaningful work in an environment intentionally designed to be one where you will learn, grow and belong.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom