Electrical Design Drafter (Austin, Texas or Huntsville, Alabama) Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Austin, TX 78753, US
Engineering & Technology
Job Description Please note: we are happy to offer this opening either in our Austin, Texas location or in our Huntsville, Alabama location.
As a Design Specialist II, your position would be to create Schematic Symbols and Component footprints for Printed Boards. To start, this will be full time on site at the Austin Texas or Huntsville Alabama facility with potential for moving to partially remote once up to speed.
Also would include generating board outlines from Creo emn files. Occasionally will require some intermediate level design layout as well as Schematic capture using Cadence Design Software.
There is lots of room to grow in this position as part of an expanding design team working on innovative technology.
Position will involve the following tasks:
1. Using Cadence Design Software, create HDL schematic symbols and Allegro Footprints of electronic parts used on Printed Circuit Boards
2. Receives/Expedites part requests using Product Data Management/Product Lifecycle Management tool.
3. Will be responsible for creating board outlines manually and, or with dxf, emn files.
4. Provides customer support for problems concerning library parts, models, geometries and board outlines as required.
5. Interfaces with Component Engineering on part, symbol, model and geometry selection, part, symbol attributes and work scheduling.
6. Collaborates with Mechanical design team in Creo to import and create the 3D part models
7. Work as part of a team with operations to make sure all footprints meet the factory floor requirements.
8. Create new and make changes to existing schematic diagrams using Cadence HDL with instructions from the electrical engineering team or Senior Principal Designer.
9. Create intermediate level Cadence Design layouts and all design outputs required for the fabrication and assembly of the board under the direction of a Senior Principal Designer.
10. Participate in design reviews, interface with electrical, mechanical, manufacturing and process engineers to design proto-type and production quality printed circuit boards in accordance with BAE Systems standards and procedures.
11. Work closely with Checkers, various engineering disciplines, Designers and Technical leads
**Please note that pursuant to a government contract, this specific position requires US citizenship status**Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- Cadence allegro 17.2 Layout experience and or Librarian and Schematic capture.
- Proficiency with AUTO CAD Mechanical 2017.
- Able to read and interpret industry part specifications.
- Proficiency with Excel.
- Proficiency with a Product Data Management / Product Lifecycle Management tool such as Dassault Systems ENOVIA.
- Knowledge of geometric dimensioning and tolerance.
- Solid understanding of IPC-2221 and associated specs and standards.
- Great communicator, not afraid to try new things and takes direction well.
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Associate’s Degree in Electrical Engineering Technology or equivalent. Alternatively, 5 years of experience creating parts in the electronics field using the Cadence Allegro tool suite.
- Knowledge of Printed Board Assembly and fabrication process.
- Some experience with Creo a plus.
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference. Electronic Systems (ES) is the global innovator behind BAE Systems’ game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere – from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact – for our customers and the communities we serve. At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom