Director Procurement & Subcontracts Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
San Diego, CA 92170-3308, US
Supply Chain & Logistics
Job Description What’s it like working for a company protecting what really matters?
Our Ship Repair business area is currently recruiting for a Director of Procurement & Subcontracts to support the San Diego Ship Repair business. Ship Repair procurement is a fast paced, demanding and rewarding career!
As the leader of this organization you will manage the evaluation, planning, and implementation of tactics to ensure that material, material handling and subcontracting activities related to assigned company programs and operations are accomplished within all prerequisites of cost, schedule, quality, compliance, and technical performance. Manage all facets of subcontracting for supplies, and services across a wide range of assigned programs, as well as for capital and operating expense needs. Ensure that purchases are made and maintained from dependable sources of supply within price, quality, and delivery restraints.
Your department operations include supporting the material and subcontract strategy for the bid and proposal (B&P) effort; issuing solicitations and analyzing bids; performing make-buy analysis/decisions; justifying, awarding and issuing purchase orders (PO); remaining in compliance with all relevant regulatory body and multiple contract type requirements; receipt, inspection, warehousing and issuing material; and supporting the contractual aspects of the PO and Terms and Conditions during execution.
Material handling operations include receipt, receipt inspection, warehousing, issuing, transportation between warehouse and shipyard, storekeeping and tool room operations.
Essential duties and responsibilities include:
- Leads and manages a team of Subcontracts, Purchasing and material handling professionals at various experience levels in proposal preparation, negotiations, purchase order management/administration, material handling.
- Manages service subcontracts and material for assigned programs, including planning, soliciting, negotiating, administering and executing proposals and agreements.
- Develops and maintains professional and dependable relationships with both internal and external customers.
- Responsible for procurement compliance and Cost/Price Analysis, the reviewing/signing of Proprietary Information Agreements and negotiation of Terms and Conditions.
- Drives all Subcontract Supplier Partnerships initiatives with supply base. Responsible for reviewing and approving complex subcontractor strategies and providing make-buy analysis recommendations for Prime Contract proposals to ensure accuracy and alignment with business unit’s annual goals and compliance with applicable FAR/DFAR requirements.
- Oversees a formal material and service subcontract performance evaluation system (Partner2Win) that provides current information on supplier performance status and directs appropriate action to ensure that contract requirements are met.
- Drives the continuous improvement of assigned processes and ensures application of company approved initiatives throughout assigned areas.
- Works and thrives in a team environment.
- Implements and manages effective cost reduction programs to ensure continuous attention to and achievement of cost reduction objectives and most favorable pricing from suppliers and strategic teaming agreements; utilizes option agreements with selected suppliers in order to achieve most favorable pricing and delivery terms for long-term requirements.
- Attends fact-finding meetings, program reviews, and general status meetings with supplier management. Evaluates supplier performance relative to cost, delivery, integrity, performance objectives, contract compliance, and other factors.
- Must have individual contributor capabilities to prepare/review proposals, develop evaluation criteria, negotiate purchase order provisions, select or recommend subcontractors and vendors, write subcontract and material packages, prepare awards and oversee the administration of resulting subcontracts and material purchase orders and negotiate additions, deletions, or modifications to purchase orders and resolve invoice issues.
- Reviews performance of subordinate personnel and recommends appropriate actions such as salary increases, promotions, transfers, and disciplinary action. Interviews applicants for hire and encourages talent development through training programs to ensure a higher level of skill and proficiency among subordinate employees. Develops succession plan.
- Assists in planning, developing, and executing corporate training and organizational development plan for procurement department personnel.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills Bachelor's Degree and minimum 12 years related experience.
Ability to motivate and manage personnel.
Knowledge of FAR and DFAR regulations and the nature of flow down requirements.
Ability to work across departments to propose initiatives and resolve conflicts.
Understanding/knowledge of CPSR and FCF audits and requirements.
Identify/assess Risks & Opportunities throughout the duration of the program.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Excellent time management/organization skills.
Ability to create win-win solutions; a “make it happen” attitude.
Ability to develop and implement organizational changes as required to meet an ever dynamic changing environment.
Critical and strategic thinking.
Ability to work closely with other departments, such as Contracts, Finance, Project Managers, and various Compliance Teams (proposal compliance and procurement compliance).
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills Analytical thought needed to resolve issues in a variety of complex situations, without supervision.
CPM or APICS certification. About BAE Systems Platforms & Services BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference.
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom