Director, Executive Branch Government Relations Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Falls Church, VA 22042, US
Job Description What's a career like at BAE Systems? Remarkable. The Director, Executive Branch Government Relations is responsible for achieving BAE Systems Inc. executive branch goals, including federal policy initiatives and support for company programs.
- The Director will lead the development and execution of engagement strategies with the executive branch (including Department of Defense, Executive Office of the President, and other agencies) for a diverse number of programs and issues. Qualified candidates should have extensive current contacts at the Pentagon, and Navy contacts are a plus.
- Develop and maintain key relationships with senior leaders in the executive branch (particularly the acquisition community) and staff to position the company for future business opportunities.
- Attend/facilitate engagements for senior leaders in the executive branch, including briefings, visits to company facilities and events.
- Meeting regularly with sector leadership to collaborate on priorities and provide advice/recommendations on how the Government Relations function can assist with their set of priorities/objectives.
- Develop an environment that encourages open communication and collaboration among sector leadership and the Government Relations function.
- Provide the Vice President of Executive Branch and Government Relations and sector leadership with timely updates about developments in the executive branch.
- Offer strategic input to the Integrated Business Planning Process (IBPP) relative to business development strategy, programs and budget.
- Understand DOD’s acquisition priorities and concerns. Effectively communicate those concerns to company leaders; likewise, the individual will understand company priorities and concerns and effectively communicate those concerns to the appropriate leaders in the executive branch.
- Influence, negotiate with and persuade others by using direct and indirect influence to accomplish results. Take multiple steps or uses outside experts to influence an outcome with each step adapted to the specific audience.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- Bachelor Degree with 15 years of experience
- The ideal candidate will have a minimum of five years related experience and comprehensive understanding of the defense industry, the defense acquisition process, and the federal budget environment and cycle. Service retirees are encouraged to apply, particularly from the Navy for this particular role. Qualified candidates should have extensive current contacts at the Pentagon.
- The candidate must be a citizen of the US and be eligible to obtain a high level security clearance. Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply to join this diverse and equitable team.
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Extensive exposure to the acquisition community, U.S. national security policies and priorities, federal budgets and budgeting, and an understanding of the factors affecting acquisition decisions.
The ideal candidate will be military retiree, particularly from the Navy. Pentagon experience on the OSD or a service acquisition staff and an aviation background are all advantages.
Work experience on Capitol Hill is not required for this position and thus does not meet the “related experience” criteria. Pentagon and MilDep experience preferred.
The ability to quickly and thoroughly analyze a broad range of issues utilizing varied analytical techniques is key, as is sophisticated/strategic thinking to determine how best to influence decision/policy makers.
Deliver concise, incisive, logically written documents and having a professional presence.
Excellent organizational, verbal, and written communication skills, as well as project management, analytical, planning, presentation and interpersonal relationship skills.
Must be flexible and demonstrate strong judgment/decision-making skills, and political insight.
About BAE Systems, Inc.BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. People are the greatest asset in any Company. BAE Systems is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom