Designer II Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Huntsville, AL 35806, US
Engineering & Technology
Job Description See what you’re missing. Our employees work on the world’s most advanced electronics – from detecting threats for F-35 pilots to illuminating the night for soldiers. Spanning air, land, sea, and space, we are developing the technology of tomorrow, delivered today. Drawing strength from our differences, we’re innovating for the future. And you can, too. Our flexible work environment provides you a chance to change the world without giving up your personal life. We put our customers first – exemplified by our mission: “We Protect Those Who Protect Us®.” Sound like a team you want to be a part of? Come build your career with BAE Systems.
Our Engineers and Designers are the lifeblood of our company and we’re more than 5,000 strong. With our robust offering of educational and career development opportunities, your chances to grow are limitless.
In Precision Strike and Sensing Solutions Business, we provide affordable and highly accurate precision-guided munitions and advanced electro-optical/laser technology that detect and defeat threats to air and ground platforms. We design and manufacture state-of-the-art systems and technology that enable our customers to execute their precision strike missions.
The Designer II position we are seeking to fill requires 8+ years of experience in the Mechanical Design Drafting profession, with a minimum 2 years specifically assigned Designer role, to work in the Huntsville Alabama facility. You will provide support on our EO/IR/RF, precision pointing, and countermeasures-based products and other challenging technologies. You will be part of a Design & Drafting Community working with the latest CAD Technology and Processes that are always forward planning with Industry professionals to define future of CAD capabilities as well as its support of Model Based Engineering. You will also advance your technical skills while performing your assigned responsibilities on development projects and supporting our existing product portfolio.
The individual selected for this position will be an experienced Mechanical Designer who is a problem solver with diverse technical capabilities and sound design and geometrical tolerance fundamentals to support engineering, design, analysis, product definition and product build process. The duties assigned to this position, while under the guidance of Program and Engineering Leadership, include the following:
- Utilize computer-aided design equipment and/or graphic tools to design components, systems, portion of systems and modify existing designs to develop or improve production
- Support mechanical, opto-mechanical, and electro-mechanical hardware design efforts from conceptual layouts through detailed design
- Conduct design trade studies, volume packaging and tolerance analysis
- Plan, execute, develop, release and control of product definition data (engineering models and drawings)
- Work closely with technicians in the generation and assembly of prototype/engineering hardware and test equipment
- Create, maintain and update engineering records and files as appropriate
- Perform formal change processes (ECR’s and ECO’s) as required
- Perform other related duties as assigned
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- Familiarity with comprehensive design process including conceptual development, physical design, support to procurement and manufacturing
- Work within a broader program team, capable of communicating across functional boundaries for problem/issue resolution.
- Familiar with standard manufacturing practices for the efficient fabrication of mechanical components and assemblies
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment
- Good understanding of GD&T in accordance with Y14.5
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient working in CREO Parametric 7.0 or later and PDMLinks (Windchill) 11.0 or later. Have a solid foundation in creating and modifying parts, assemblies and drawings. Or proficient in other CAD 3D CAD tool(s) with ambition to learn new tool.
- Proficient with electro-mechanical defense electronics. (Designing Chassis', Card Cages, Cables, Assemblies, etc.) Knowledge in Print Board Assemblies in regards to mechanical design needs.
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Expert with Y14.5 GD&T, Military Standards, ASME Standards, Creo and Pro-Intralink/Winchill
- Experience with Dassault Systemes 3D Experience
- Ability to lead small to mid-level designs and effectively communicate within an Engineering team
- Active DoD Security Clearance
- Proficient with MIL-STD-31000 (Technical Data Packages).
- Proficient with ASME Y14.100 (Engineering Drawings)
- Proficient with ASME Y14.24 (Types of Engineering Drawings).
- Expert with ASME Y14.5-2009 or Later. (Dimensioning and Tolerancing).
- Education and Experience: Design Drafting or Technical Field Associates Degree and 15 years minimum of Design Drafting experience, or 20 plus years total experience.
Full-Time Salary Range: $66700 - $113400
Please note: This range is based on our market pay structures. However, individual salaries are determined by a variety of factors including, but not limited to: business considerations, local market conditions, and internal equity, as well as candidate qualifications, such as skills, education, and experience.
Employee Benefits: At BAE Systems, we support our employees in all aspects of their life, including their health and financial well-being. Regular employees scheduled to work 20+ hours per week are offered: health, dental, and vision insurance; health savings accounts; a 401(k) savings plan; disability coverage; and life and accident insurance. We also have an employee assistance program, a legal plan, and other perks including discounts on things like home, auto, and pet insurance. Our leave programs include paid time off, paid holidays, as well as other types of leave, including paid parental, military, bereavement, and any applicable federal and state sick leave. Employees may participate in the company recognition program to receive monetary or non-monetary recognition awards. Other incentives may be available based on position level and/or job specifics.
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference. Electronic Systems (ES) is the global innovator behind BAE Systems’ game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere – from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact – for our customers and the communities we serve.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
At BAE Systems, we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where employees are valued and feel like they belong. We are conscious of the need for all employees to see themselves reflected at every level of the company and know that in order to unlock the full potential of our workforce, everyone must feel confident being their best, most sincere self and be equipped to thrive. We provide impactful professional development experiences to our employees and invest in social impact partnerships to uplift communities and drive purposeful change. Here you will find significant opportunities to do meaningful work in an environment intentionally designed to be one where you will learn, grow and belong.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom