Design Drafting Checker Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Austin, TX 78725-2151, US
Engineering & Technology
Job Description See what you’re missing. Our employees work on the world’s most advanced electronics – from detecting threats for F-35 pilots to illuminating the night for soldiers. Spanning air, land, sea, and space, we are developing the technology of tomorrow, delivered today. Drawing strength from our differences, we’re innovating for the future. And you can, too. Our flexible work environment provides you a chance to change the world without giving up your personal life. We put our customers first – exemplified by our mission: “We Protect Those Who Protect Us®.” Sound like a team you want to be a part of? Come build your career with BAE Systems.
BAE Systems is looking for mechanical design drafting professionals to join our established and rapidly expanding Survivability, Targeting & Sensing Solutions (STS) Business Area. In STS, we provide affordable and highly accurate precision-guided munitions, helmet-mounted and head-up displays for fighter aircrafts, and advanced electro-optical/laser technology that detect and defeat threats to air and ground platforms.
STS Business Area is seeking a Design Drafting Checking Specialist.
Please note that pursuant to a government contract, this specific position requires US citizenship status
Required Skills and Education Ensure engineering product definition (drawings, associated design models, etc.) meets all contract and company requirements before leaving the Design Drafting department.
The Design Drafting Checker position we are seeking to fill requires 8+ years of experience in the Mechanical Design Drafting profession, with a minimum 5 years specifically assigned to Checking Role, to work in Austin Texas. You will provide support on our EO/IR/RF, precision pointing, and countermeasures-based products and other challenging technologies. You will be part of a Design & Drafting Community working with the latest CAD Technology and Processes who are always forward planning with Industry professionals to define future of CAD and product definition capabilities as well as its support of Model Based Engineering via Model Based Definition. You also will advance your technical skills while performing your assigned responsibilities on development projects and supporting our existing product portfolio.
The individual selected for this position will be an experienced Mechanical Design Drafting Checker who is a problem solver with diverse technical capabilities, sound design and drafting checking, and geometrical tolerance fundamentals. The requirements assigned to this position, while under the guidance of Program and Engineering Leadership, include the following:
- Capable of reviewing engineering data in CREO Parametric and AutoCAD.
- Proficient reading and understanding Engineering Drawings and Bills of Material.
- Experienced Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing IAW ASME Y14.5.
- Experienced with drawing types IAW ASME Y14.24.
- Experienced with drawing practices IAW ASMEY14.100.
- Able to review and evaluate tolerance analysis.
- Able to provide feedback and recommendations on drawing and design improvements.
- Familiar working with a formal Product Lifecycle Data Management System (PLMS)
- Able to collaborate with Drafters, Designers, Engineers, Manufacturers and Suppliers.
- Effective Communicator
- On The Job Training will be provided for internal processes and practices.
Preferred Skills and Education
- An Associate’s Degree or higher and 8+ years’ experience with 5+ years dedicated to Checking OR 12+ years’ Experience with 5+ years’ dedicated to Checking
- Experience with CREO Parametric-Pro/Engineer preferred
- Experience with Dassault Systems ENOVIA PDM preferred
- Experience with electro/optical/mechanical packaging
- Experienced with Defense electronics. (Designing Chassis', Card Cages, Backplanes, Cables, Harnesses, Assemblies, etc.)
- Very well versed with ASME Y14.5 GD&T in ASME Y14.5-1994 or later, and all facets of dimensioning and tolerancing
- Proficient in researching and understanding Military and Commercial Specifications.
- Expert reading and interpreting Engineering Drawings
- Extremely detail oriented
- Team player working in a very friendly, almost family like atmosphere.
- Willing to mentor junior personnel and willing to be mentored by senior personnel
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems BAE Systems Electronic Systems is the global innovator behind game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere – from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact – for our customers and the communities we serve.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom