Cybersecurity Senior Architect: Embedded Systems Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Sterling Heights, MI 48312, US
Engineering & Technology
BAE Systems Combat Mission Systems (CMS), one of the world's leading defense contractors and a Fortune 500 Company, is seeking a Cybersecurity Senior Principal Architect for our Sterling Heights, MI site. The selected candidate may choose to be located at any of our other primary Combat Vehicles locations of San Jose, CA.; York, PA.; or Minneapolis, MN. This is a hybrid engineering position with occasional travel.
This is a senior level position for candidates with hands-on Cybersecurity Engineering experience looking for a leadership position within the cyber team. As a principal architect you will be responsible for cybersecurity system engineering on existing or conceptual ground combat vehicles for customers such as the Army or Marine Corps. In this role you will be expected to bid, lead and execute projects with a small team of engineers under your direction. Program execution includes information system security assessments, system hardening, Risk Management Framework (RMF), NIST 800-171 Cybersecurity Framework, or Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification (CMMC) security control implementation and implementing Plans of Action and Milestones (PoAM) following vulnerability tests such as Adversarial Assessments (AA) or Cooperative Vulnerability Penetration Assessments (CVPA).
Our people are our strength and, as such, we are committed to employee growth and development and supporting employees in building long-term careers at BAE Systems. In addition to challenging day-to-day assignments, employees are encouraged to pursue special projects, participate in formal and informal mentoring programs and networking events, and rotate into different roles with increasing levels of responsibility.
In this role, the Cyber Security Principal Architect Systems Engineer will:
- Serve as a senior technical advisor and SME for Cyber Security Systems Engineering to our US Government customer.
- Perform cyber security architecture and engineering tasks on embedded systems for military vehicle development programs, including security implementation, testing, and mitigating issues from testing.
- Analyze cyber security requirements and controls, support development of risk mitigation plans for vulnerability, and support certification and evaluation effort.
- Perform vulnerability scans with tools such as Nessus, ACAS, and Fortify.
- Communicate with customers, peers, subcontractors, and management. Actively participate in cyber security working groups and Integrated Product Teams (IPT).
- Lead a team through proposal development of various programs in a manner to create a winning solution for the US Government and BAE Systems.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- CompTIA Security+ or Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) – or obtained within one year of hiring for DoD 8570 IAT Cybersecurity Compliance.
- The ideal candidate will typically Bachelor's Degree in a discipline such as Cybersecurity, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical/Electronic Engineering, or Information Systems and eight years work experience, or a Masters Degree in an engineering discipline, or the overall equivalent experience in a related field.
- Knowledge or practical experience of Risk Management Framework (RMF) and ability to apply the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) controls and policies and Security Technical Implementation Guides (STIGs) to the system design and implementation.
- Experience/familiarity with digital networks, especially Ethernet architecture and associated protocols.
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Experience with military vehicle systems and customers greatly preferred.
- Ability to analyze the system risks and vulnerabilities of devices on various networks and capable of reading, understanding, and comprehending vehicle electronics (vetronics) architecture diagrams.
- Linux Operating System (OS) and scripting a plus.
- Experience with software languages including C, C++, Java, and Python.
- Model-Based Systems Engineering (MBSE)/SysML Experience, familiarity with NoMagic MagicDraw and threat modeling tools.
- Familiarity with the Department of Defense Information Assurance/Cybersecurity requirements and certification processes; knowledge of Ground Combat Systems' Common Infrastructure Architecture (GCIA), Cyber Security Attributes (CSA) and Cyber Resiliency.
- Understanding of or having some working knowledge of Cross Domain Solutions.
- Experience creating proposals and estimates - project planning, execution, monitoring, and controlling processes including Earned Value Management Systems (EVMS).
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference.
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
At BAE Systems, we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where employees are valued and feel like they belong. We are conscious of the need for all employees to see themselves reflected at every level of the company and know that in order to unlock the full potential of our workforce, everyone must feel confident being their best, most sincere self and be equipped to thrive. We provide impactful professional development experiences to our employees and invest in social impact partnerships to uplift communities and drive purposeful change. Here you will find significant opportunities to do meaningful work in an environment intentionally designed to be one where you will learn, grow and belong.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom