Crane Operator Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Jacksonville, FL 32226, US
Manufacturing & Maintenance
Job Description The Crane Operator is responsible for inspecting thecondition of the work site prior to crane set up. Will transport material suchas machinery, equipment and other construction products in the shipyard. Mustbe aware of how much material can be lifted safely based upon weatherconditions and the capacity of the crane. Plans, specifies and positionsrigging equipment for accomplishing work in a safe and efficient manner.Additionally, inspects and maintains crane against any defects or malfunctions.Reads and interpret job specifications and works with minimum supervision.Responsible for maintaining housekeeping, keeping worksite free of waste andkeeping materials and equipment stowed in an orderly manner. May be assignedmiscellaneous tasks outside craft as required. Required Education, Experience, & Skills
· Must have minimum of 5 years’ continuous experience in Large Hydraulic Mobile Crane operation in shipyard environment or other similar cranes
· Must possess a current qualification Large Hydraulic Mobile Crane from NCCCO or NCCER (minimum 90-160 Ton Hydraulic Mobile Crane)
· Able to safely operate small & large AT/RT hydraulic cranes. Portal cranes, Lattice boom friction type crane similar to Link-Belt, Liehber, Manitowoc… is a plus
· Must possess current DOT physical cert.
· Pass written and practical exam and maintain proficiency in all qualified cranes to retain this level.
· Class "A" CDL with passenger endorsement is a plus.
· Must be able to read and interpret all load charts and be able to interpret hand and voice signals (signal person).
· Must apply safe crane and rigging practices at all times.
· Must perform daily inspections, documenting logs as legal records and perform maintenance (lubrication) of any crane assigned.
· Must participate in BAE's J.H.A. (Job Hazard Analysis) program.
· At times may rig various pieces of equipment on ships, off ships and throughout the interior of ships utilizing chain-falls, nylon straps, shackle and beam clamps. Work with minimum supervision. Must be able to exercise good judgment in load handling, placement of equipment, machinery and material.
· May work at heights in excess of 100’ and may work in/on Jon Boat deploying oil boom and or other equipment.
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills Must have 5 years’ experience in Large Hydraulic Mobile Crane operation in shipyard environment or other similar cranes. Must be able to read and interpret all load charts. Must apply safe rigging practices and crane operating practices at all times. Must be able to interpret hand signals. Must perform daily inspections and greasing of any crane assigned and document. Must have worked in a shipyard environment for three to five years and have rigged equipment on ships. Must be safety oriented, have a good attitude and attendance. Must be able to exercise good judgment in load handling, placement of equipment, machinery and material handling.About BAE Systems Platforms & Services The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
We celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom