Crane Operator (2nd Shift) Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
San Diego, CA 92170-3308, US
Manufacturing & Maintenance
- Operate hydraulic and friction cranes in a safe and efficient manner.
- Operates traveling or stationary overhead crane to lift, move, and position loads, such as machinery, equipment, products, and solid or bulk materials, using hoisting attachments, such as hooks, and slings.
- The candidate must be able to read and understand the crane's load rating chart(s) and diagrams while applying all notes and warnings related to such charts to confirm the correct crane configuration to suit the load, site and lift conditions.
- The candidate must be able to identify the site conditions that could adversely affect operation of the crane. Additionally, they must be capable of understanding and applying the information contained in the crane manufacturer's operating manual.
- The candidate must be able to pass the advanced rigging course. Responsible to conduct inspections of all rigging gear, identify any defaults before each use, and be able to look at your work site and determine what you can and cannot use for Rigging pick points.
- Observes load hookup and determines safety of load.
- Operate crane controls, such as pedals, levers, and buttons, to regulate speed and direction of crane and hoist movement according to written, verbal, and signal instructions.
- Inspects crane for defective parts and notifies supervisor of defects or malfunctions.
- Review daily work and delivery schedules to determine orders, sequences of deliveries, and special loading instructions.
- Determine the weights and check them against lifting capacities in order to prevent overload.
- Using hand and arm signals for installing, handling, positioning, and moving materials.
- Will be required to wear personal protective equipment, hardhat, safety glasses, steel toe boots/shoes, hearing protection, and personal floatation device when required.
- Work independently to complete responsibilities.
- Must have regular, reliable attendance.
- Control cost in assigned area of responsibility.
- Identify damages and report shortages or quality deficiencies.
- Keep updated records of inventory and activity logs.
- Comply with company policies and legal guidelines.
- Help maintain a safe and orderly environment of the facilities.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- Demonstrated crane operating experiences.
- Will be asked to perform as a hook and tender as a secondary job as production demands dictate.
- Good depth perception.
- Must pass written exam after training.
- Must comply with safety/OSHA rules and requirements.
- Must comply with company instructions, and guidelines.
- Must be able to communicate effectively.
- Must be able to work with Project, rig, and crane teams effectively.
- Must be able to understand the danger areas and control the movement of personnel and equipment, on the pier, during operations efficiently.
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
We celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom