Craft Supvervisor - Machine Shop Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
San Diego, CA 92170-3308, US
Manufacturing & Maintenance
The Craft Supervisor oversees the daily work performed in the Craft Supervisor’s assigned Shop. The Craft Supervisor is responsible for assigning and monitoring the completion of work, as well as providing technical assistance, and generally managing the workforce within the Shop. The Craft Supervisor is expected to identify and ensure that appropriate actions are taken to support the timely and effective completion of assigned tasks. This includes ensuring that company policies and practices are followed in all phases of project performance and personnel-related functions, including but not limited to the hiring and supervision of union employees, employee performance management, terminations, promotions and demotions. The Craft Supervisor also is responsible for ensuring that employees comply with Company policies and procedures, and the requirements of the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA). The Craft Supervisor reports directly to the Craft Manager.
Some of the key Craft Supervisor duties and responsibilities include:
• Ensuring that the Shop is pursuing Company goals for Safety, Quality and Productivity.
• Developing and/or reviewing project schedules and budgets during the planning phase.
• Allocating personnel and resources to efficiently support all contracts (including shift work).
• Overseeing and monitoring schedule performance, including review of ongoing and upcoming projects, investigation of late activities, project supervision, and the development of practical solutions.
• Monitoring and evaluating project budget performance, including review of ongoing and upcoming projects, development of productivity enhancements and investigation of over-budget items.
• Monitoring productivity across all shifts, including the amount and type of work assigned as well as the quality and quantity of work accomplished.
• Performing personnel related functions including, but not limited to, the supervision of employees, performance management, workforce reductions, promotions, demotions and discipline.
• Ensuring that employees understand and adhere to Company policies.
• Training and motivating employees in the areas of technical knowledge, safety, environmental and communication.
• Ensuring that requirements of BAE Systems policies and procedures are in compliance and adhearded to.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
The required skills and qualifications vary depending on the Shop and Supervisor position, but
• High school or equivalent degree.
• Must have a minimum of 5 years’ experience in the trade.
• Demonstrated technical knowledge in the relevant trade.
• Demonstrated ability to plan, schedule, supervise, and direct the work of other employees in the relevant trade or industry.
• Ability to use discretion and judgment in making operations and personnel decisions.
• Proficient computer skills required including experience with Microsoft Office programs and similar software.
• Good oral and written communication skills.
• Must be able to obtain a government access badge.
The Craft Supervisor position is a non-bargaining position. Please note that each specific Craft Supervisor position may have additional or different skills, responsibilities, and qualifications based on the shop in which the Craft Supervisor works. Ability to climb ladders and frequently traverse Navy ships. The Company also may, in its discretion, modify the skills, responsibilities, and qualifications for Craft Supervisors at any time.
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
We celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom