Continuous Improvement Expert Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Louisville, KY 40214-2600, US
The BAE Systems site in Louisville, KY supporting Combat Mission Systems (CMS) is seeking a Continuous Improvement (CI) Expert. In this role, the Continuous Improvement (CI) Expert provides support to the CI Manager in planning, training, methodology, guidance, communication and coaching skills to promote a culture of CI. This role engages employees at all levels to help the lines of business improve quality levels, reduce waste, improve and simplify processes, continually reduce costs, and improve the overall effectiveness of assigned business processes and operations (with a main focus on Leadership Guidance, training and Strategic Planning).
The key objective is to support the CI program to transform the business culture and drive change that will positively affect the bottom line of the business and deliver optimal performance. The CI Expert is responsible for facilitating and driving a broad array of activities including:
- Co-leading implementation of the plan for integrated and standardized CI across CMS;
- Facilitating Hoshin Planning strategic objective development, “Catch-ball” activities and policy deployment at all levels;
- Co-leading implementation and roll out of CI project tracking and strategic planning software;
- Leading corporate level CI initiatives and projects that transform the business to improve competitiveness and profitability;
- Teaching, coaching and mentoring A3 Project Leaders and Lean Six Sigma Black Belts and Green Belts in DMAIC problem solving;
- Maintaining project leader training material for currency and relevance – especially for Lean Six Sigma DMAIC Black Belt trainees;
- Screening Lean Six Sigma Black Belt candidates for ability to succeed in attaining Black Belt certification;
- Driving improvement efforts in the Quality Management System (QMS) to resolve issues, internal and external, to ensure consistent business process execution and discipline;
- Serving as a facilitator supporting CI initiatives and an adviser in generating lower level goals and targets;
- Facilitating CI efforts executed at the mid to senior leadership team levels;
- Supporting cross-organizational efforts to drive factory quality, cost and delivery metric goals;
- Coaching business process owners to drive corrective actions to closure; identifying missing or ineffective process controls and subsequently implementing corrective and preventive actions.
*LOCATION* This position will support from Louisville, KY. It can support temporary remote work during the COVID challenge on a short-time basis.Required Skills and Education
- Required to be Lean Six Sigma Master Black Belt Certified or Black Belt;
- Must have demonstrated experience leading corporate level strategic initiatives
- Experience developing and managing cross-organizational improvement initiative portfolios linked through the organization to corporate level objectives;
- Must have demonstrated experience leading cross-organizational DMAIC Projects and A3s;
- 7 years minimum experience of teaching, coaching, and mentoring Lean Six Sigma Black Belts and Green Belts in DMAIC;
- Must have experience developing business and process performance metrics and dashboards at all levels;
- Must have a demonstrated mastery in utilizing, teaching and coaching complex data analysis in Minitab;
- Analytical problem-solving ability to identify issues and apply structured and disciplined methodology to identify root cause using data and process analysis and implement cost effective “needle-moving” solutions;
- Experience working and coaching in a Toyota Production System (TPS) environment;
- Innovative and effective solution development, risk mitigation, and execution experience;
- Experience implementing and coaching Value Stream Mapping (VSM) and Takt Time manufacturing concepts;
- The ability to handle multiple, complex priorities and balance the needs of each according to business impact;
- Highly effective written, verbal, presentation, and facilitation skills in understandable terms to all levels of the organization;
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills involving interfacing, coordinating and negotiating with cross-functional teams and leadership at all levels to facilitate improvements across the organization;
- A demonstrated ability in applying SPC, Six Sigma and Lean Manufacturing Principles;
- Experience leading and coaching incident investigation teams and performing Event Chain-Causal Analysis;
- Solid skills in problem solving, statistical analysis, manufacturing quality, and quality principles;
- The ability to work independently and be effective in a fast-paced environment.
- Able to support at either the York, PA or Louisville, KY site.
- 12+ years experience with High School diploma, GED, or the equivalent
- 10+ years experience with Associates degree
- 8+ years experience with Bachelors degree
- 6+ years experience with Masters degree
- 4+ years experience with PhD
Preferred Skills and Education Preferred skills, education, and/or experience as follows:
- Experience implementing or using CI software i.e. KPI Fire, TRACtion, Kainexus, PowerSteering, etc.;
- RCA software i.e. REASON, Taproot, Sologic, etc.;
- Masters Degree in Business Administration or Industrial Engineering
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services BAE Systems is a premier global defense and security company with approximately 90,000 employees delivering a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support and services. Platforms & Services designs, develops, produces, supports, maintains, modernizes and upgrades armored combat vehicles, wheeled vehicles, naval guns, surface ship combatants, commercial vessels, missile launchers, artillery systems, military ordnance, and protective wear and armor. Equal Opportunity Employer: Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom