Communications Manager Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
San Diego, CA 92170-3308, US
Job Description We are looking for a skilled corporate communications professional who is seeking an exciting opportunity to tell the stories of the men and women who repair U.S. Navy ships and other large vessels. With us, you will be responsible for managing internal (employee) communications and community investment activities for BAE Systems Ship Repair (the company), and for the development and execution of strategic corporate communications initiatives. Specifically, you will ensure the delivery of timely, effective employee communications products to promote key business unit news, events and activities. You also will work with company representatives and community partners to plan and manage the company’s community relations initiatives and investments. Additionally, you will perform additional duties in support of the public affairs and media relations requirements of the company’s San Diego shipyard, while partnering with leadership at all levels on external and internal communications strategies to support the success of the shipyard and company. Relationship building and collaboration with all types of stakeholders will be the keys to your successful execution of the role. You will report to the company’s Director of Communications.Required Education, Experience, & Skills Bachelor's degree in the Communications discipline and 10 years or greater experience in corporate communications.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, media or related discipline.
- Experience: Minimum eight years in corporate communications environment or agency work on behalf of a large company.
- Communication leadership: Excellent written and oral communication, project management and interpersonal skills.
- Writing: Possess excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills.
- Organizational experience: Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a matrixed organization.
- Travel: Ability to travel independently (not more than 10%)
- Collaboration: Ability to work comfortably and effectively with employees at all levels of the organization – from the production workshop to the C-Suite.
- Employee communications: Demonstrated experience with conducting employee communications and company-wide information campaigns
- Public relations expertise: Ability to professionally represent the Ship Repair organization and BAE Systems to multiple audiences and stakeholders
- Project management: Ability to develop and execute corporate communications projects and campaigns, and manage budgets.
- Digital and social media experience: Experience with creating content for and promoting organizational presence and engagement on various digital and social media platforms.
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Master’s degree in communications, journalism, media or related discipline
- Previous experience in managing employee communications for a multi-site business or manufacturing operation
- Experience with communicating to a widespread organization that is significantly comprised of employees who do not have routine electronic equipment/access.
- Prior experience in the aerospace-defense industry, U.S. Navy and/or U.S. Merchant Marine service is ideal.
- Prior experience with managing community relations budgets and selecting effective partnerships
- Prior experience with media relations, including crisis communication
- Photography experience is preferred.
- Fluency with Spanish is a plus.
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference.
The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom