CNC / Manual Machinist III Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Louisville, KY 40214-2600, US
Manufacturing & Maintenance
Must be capable of setting up and operating a wide range of machine tools. Included but not limited to: manual lathe, CNC/NC lathe, hollow spindle lathe, deep hole boring machine, broach, vertical and horizontal hone, planer mill, radial drill, chamber grinder, multi axis machines, ID/OD and surface grinder, centerless grinder, VTL, NC mill, press, lap, jig bore, stencil, deburr, and autofrettage process..
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
1. Responsible for working from process sheets, engineering drawings/specifications, sketches and written/oral instructions to machine various end product items. Works to extremely close tolerances and inspects work using precision measuring instruments. Completes manufacturing/quality control reports and tag discrepant parts.
2. Responsible for independently performing tasks requiring accuracy and mental application in the use of advanced shop mathematics.
3. Responsible for suggesting and working with Manufacturing Engineering and others in developing alternate methods and procedures which contribute toward more efficient and economic product manufacturing.
4. Responsible for performing work assignments which require accomplishing untried tasks, first run complex machining, method process prove out, etc. in consultation with Manufacturing Engineering or others as required.
5. Responsible for making complex setups and accomplish precise alignment of work piece in machine and manufacturing to extremely close tolerances on parts of high complexity, such as gun barrels and other parts, as well as parts of low to medium complexity.
6. Responsible for independently performing tasks requiring accuracy and mental application in the use of shop mathematics, GD&T (Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing) and Feeds & Speed calculations.
7. Cleans/deburrs parts as conditions permit utilizing machine tools, power tools or hand tools.
8. Maintains and returns all equipment such as tooling, jigs, fixtures and gages to the proper storage area.
9. Performs routine operator maintenance functions such as daily lubrication, chip removal, and the cleaning of machines, table, surrounding area as required.
10. Rigs/loads/unloads parts or equipment from machines utilizing special handling equipment as needed.
11. Employee is responsible for maintaining/improving housekeeping standard in his/her work area and adhering to established safety rules and practices.
12. Train other machinists as required.
13. Works under the supervision of a Team Leader who gives minimal instructions. Team Leader is available for consultation.
14. Employees assigned to closed areas may be required to assist with ancillary tasks such as painting, blasting, assembly to ensure product completed.
15. Must understand shop floor computerized time and attendance system and independently execute assigned responsibilities. Examples of those responsibilities are: clocking in and out upon arrival and departure from work, close shop order sequences when work is complete, etc.
The work requires employee to stand for long periods, stoop, bend, reach, and climb. Frequently handles objects weighing up to 10 pounds. Occasionally lifts objects weighing up to 40 pounds. Cranes, hand trucks, and other lifting and moving equipment are available for heavier loads.Required Skills and Education 1. Strong knowledge of Fanuc, Siemens, KT and G&L controls, CNC programming code including G-code, M-code,etc.
2. Able to read, interpret, and edit programming as required to mitigate production delays/risks
3. Knowledge in theuse of DNC software to upload programming
4. Must possessstrong machining experience with exotic metals including Monel, Inconel, Titanium, K-Monel, etc.
5. Experience and understanding of GD&T application.
6. Must have the knowledge and skill to set, use, and read precision layout and measuring instruments.
7. Must have the knowledge of, and the ability to apply algebraic, geometric, and trigonometric functions to blueprint dimensions in the machining of products.
8. Must have the ability to read and interpret multi-paged complex machining product blueprints.
9. Must possess the knowledge, skill, and ability to setup and operate major machine tools.
10. Must have the ability, confidence, and self-motivation to apply talents independently and with good judgment.
11. Assist others in obtaining solutions to quality issues.
12. Assist other machinists in complex set-ups.
13. Must be eligible to obtain a security clearance.
About BAE Systems Platforms & Services The Platforms & Services (P&S) sector under BAE Systems, Inc does the big stuff: the armored combat vehicles, naval guns, missile launchers, and naval ship repair…just to name a few. Our employees take pride in the work they do and why they do it. They are on the front lines every day, building our products to protect the lives of those who serve. We may be biased, but we think P&S does some of the coolest work around, and we think you will too.
We celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom