Chief Engineer - Information Systems Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
San Antonio, TX 78249, US
Engineering & Technology
Job Description BAE Systems is seeking a Chief Engineer to join their Air Force Solutions – Enterprise IT Solutions (AFS-EITS) Business Unit. This rapidly growing Business Unit is comprised of approximately 100 personnel providing information technology, cyber security, software development, program management, acquisition and engineering support to various Air Force agencies and the end-customer communities they support. Reporting to the AFS-EITS Business Unit Director, the Chief Engineer will be responsible for developing the AFS-EITS technological vision, implementing technology strategies and assuring that technology resources are aligned with business needs.
The selected individual will lead the development, integration and transition of solutions that advance the business within existing programs as well as new business captures. Primary areas of focus include solutions utilizing cloud computing, enterprise IT/ Weapon System modernization, data analytics, operationalizing AI/ML, systems engineering and integration with model based methodologies, and cyber security.
The Chief Engineer will represent AFS-EITS within customer, industry, and organizational communities collaborating with peers to deliver leading edge solutions. The selected candidate will understand and evaluate technology trends within our markets, maintain awareness of the evolution of competitor technology, and position AFS-EITS to successfully capture strategic pursuits. In addition, the Chief Engineer will support the development of strategic partnerships with defense and commercial technology companies and other BAE Systems Sectors to best position AFS-EITS for business growth.
Internally, the selected individual will be responsible for partnering with the Air Force Solutions Chief Engineering organization to meet the internal technology needs of the business. Successful candidates will demonstrate the ability to accomplish the following activities while leading key strategic initiatives and supporting a team of 100+ subject matter experts and engineers:
- Create and Implement a comprehensive business unit technical strategy and roadmap with high emphasis in the following disciplines/ domains: Multi-Domain Command and Control (MDC2); transition of AI/ML capabilities; Data Analytics; Cyber; Weapon/ Information System Modernization
- Create effective and cohesive teams by leading or supporting the integration of architects, subject matter experts, and technical leads to address all aspects of the system life cycle.
- Work with and support other discipline leads in their responsibilities to effectively staff programs/projects with effective technical leadership to ensure project success. This includes contribution and oversight of Workforce Technical Development, IR&D, and other strategic technical initiatives.
- Recommend system philosophies, design objectives and risk mitigation strategies.
- Develop technical solutions, cultivate thought leadership, and drive innovation that aligns organizational objectives with customer and mission requirements.
- Interfaces with internal and external customers to clearly understand their requirements and objectives. Establishes productive and collaborative relationships based on trust with counterparts and colleagues.
- Must maintain current knowledge of trends in industry, competitors, and corporate strategy, and apply that knowledge to achieving strategic objectives.
This position is available to sit at the following BAE facilities: San Antonio, TX, Colorado Springs, CO, Capital Roads, VA or Rome, NY. Heavy travel will be required if the candidate is not local to the Rome, NY offices.
Required Skills and Education
- 12+ years of technical leadership, management, and decision making in development, design/development, production, and sustainment of products, associated missions and applications.
- Able to work independently and demonstrate strong initiative, complex problem solving, and an ability to organize assigned daily tasks and the tasks of subordinates with no supervision
- Ability to formulate strategic vision, strategies and implement action plans to achieve goals in a changing environment.
- Proven ability to lead, manage, and inspire a technical staff with diverse experience and technical views.
- Strong project management and product development skills with a practical understanding of Systems Engineering and DoD product development lifecycle.
- Demonstrated performance management, mentoring, coaching and effective cross functional collaboration skills.
- Possess strong communication skills (oral and written) as well as the ability to interact with team members, external vendors, various levels of management and internal clients
- Ability to conduct effective meetings, discussions and presentations among geographically dispersed collaborators
Preferred Skills and Education
- Effective in Engineering talent management, development, and acquisition
- Knowledge and understanding of the software development process, deliverables and schedule.
About BAE Systems Intelligence & Security BAE Systems Intelligence & Security, based in McLean, Virginia, designs and delivers advanced defense, intelligence, and security solutions that support the important missions of our customers. Our pride and dedication shows in everything we do—from intelligence analysis, cyber operations and IT expertise to systems development, systems integration, and operations and maintenance services. Knowing that our work enables the U.S. military and government to recognize, manage and defeat threats inspires us to push ourselves and our technologies to new levels. That’s BAE Systems. That’s Inspired Work. Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/Gender Expression. To see Inspired Work in action, visit www.baesystems.com and follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/baesystemsintel.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom