Chief Engineer Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
San Diego, CA 92127-1874, US
Engineering & Technology
Job Description BAE Systems is looking for an experienced Program Engineer Manager (Chief Engineer) to lead the Spartan Program, a multi-disciplinary team in an Agile, fast-paced development environment for the Resilient Ground Systems Product Line under Mission Systems.
The qualified candidate will partner with the Program Manager to ensure smooth program execution, strong team building, defending work share and growing scope. The PEM will be responsible for providing technical leadership to multidisciplinary design teams in the design, development, fielding, and support of the system. Represents the technical team to project managers, PTLs, functions and executive leadership. Responsible for developing the overall technical solution for a product or system. The PEM is the decision authority between the System Architect and entire engineering team and is responsible for developing the overall technical solution for the system. The PEM is expected to influences the design, development, test and verification. In addition, the PEM is responsible for identifying and communicating technical risks and opportunities between the design team, system architect and program management team. This role will ensures design to Cost is part of the overall solution. Performs as the technical POC to the customer in support of the PM and PTL.
It is expected that the PEM will performs as the “Voice of the Customer” for system design, technical performance, and other system needs, provide technical stewardship of the engineering effort for the entire program ensuring the solution meets customer programmatic and technical requirements within the allocated engineering cost and schedule.
* Please note that pursuant to a government contract, this specific position requires US citizenship statusRequired Education, Experience, & Skills
- Bachelor of Science degree in engineering/technical discipline, and 12+ year(s) related experience or equivalent experience, training and/or certifications
- Currently hold an active Top Secret security clearance
- Demonstrated leadership skills (soft skills, strategic thinking, business acumen, supervisory experience, building teams, building customer relationships)
- Experience leading IPTs, projects, and/or programs consisting of Ground-related SE, SW development, and IV&V functions and managing programs with competing/conflicting resource requirements
- Strong planning and organizational skills with the ability to diagnose, resolve complex problems and to develop improved methods to increase program efficiency
- Experience with customer/stakeholder communication, management, relationship building, and customer satisfaction
- Proven ability to garner the trust of Customers, influence government decisions and is able to adapt a positive leadership style when the working environment becomes contentious
- Proven business intelligence skills
- Proficient analyzing customer needs, and reviewing user stories and technical tasks to achieve various Agile objectives and iterative development schedules
- Deep analytical and problem solving abilities. Reviews and judges the suitability of capability solutions and the planned approach
- Working knowledge of EVMS systems and project management tools in the context of AGILE process
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work with and communicate with all. Advises stakeholders on issues affecting the “broader” engineering approach to engineering activities.
- Proven written and oral communication skills, including presentation skills
- Strong proposal writing and review skills
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Masters of Science degree in Systems Engineering or related discipline
- Hold an active Top Secret/SCI security clearance
- Proficiency with Agile management tools (e.g., Jira, etc.)
- Experience developing proposals, ECPs, and whitepapers focused on new business
- Experience with strategy development and execution
- Knowledge of open, standards-based architectures, interfaces
- Experience in Program Pre Mortem analysis
About BAE Systems Electronic Systems BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference. Electronic Systems (ES) is the global innovator behind BAE Systems’ game-changing defense and commercial electronics. Exploiting every electron, we push the limits of what is possible, giving our customers the edge and our employees opportunities to change the world. Our products and capabilities can be found everywhere – from the depths of the ocean to the far reaches of space. At our core are more than 14,000 highly talented Electronic Systems employees with the brightest minds in the industry, we make an impact – for our customers and the communities we serve. At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom