Scrum Master Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
San Diego, CA 92127-1874, US
Engineering & Technology
Top Secret/SCI Polygraph
PLEASE NOTE: Positions are available at the junior, mid and senior levels
NOTE: Candidates submitted for this vacancy must have experience in software development, systems engineering, test, or another discipline such that they could qualify in an existing labor category on the program as a participant (developer, tester, systems engineer, network engineer, etc.). Please select the appropriate Labor Category the candidate qualifies for when submitting candidates for this vacancy.
The selected candidates will join a high performing agile team that uses the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) methodology to support a nationally significant and fast-paced program. Program execution follows DEVOPS best practices and employs robust development, test and production environments. Test Driven Development (TDD) and test automation tools are utilized alongside a full suite of team collaboration tools. The program is focused on injecting new technology and adding advanced capabilities in support of an on-going operational system.
Selected candidates will work within a large-scale software and hardware integration effort and will be responsible for facilitating one large complex agile team or several small agile teams as part of a larger Agile Release Train (ART) delivering value to the customer using Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) as the agile framework. Scrum Masters will help educate the self-organizing teams in Scrum or Kanban to ensure that the agile process are being followed and will help remove impediments and foster an environment for high-performing team dynamics, continuous flow, and relentless improvement. Scrum Masters will work with team members to ensure that the team's commitments at the Program Increment (PI) Planning are met and will facilitate horizontal communication across team members to identify any impediments that may prevent team progress while working mitigation plans. Scrum Masters will be responsible for sensing, determining, and leading discussions when issues need to be analyzed or triaged and for making improvements in determining and implementing improvements to processes. Strong attention to detail and focus on task completion is critical.
- Responsible for facilitating self-organizing team(s) to ensure the team is making progress against Program Increment commitments
- Protects the team from scope creep during execution of the PI
- Removes impediments for the team and coordinates with the Release Train Engineer in implementing solutions
- Helps team members communicate, coordinate, and cooperate
- Supports and enforces Scrum process and other rules
- Ensures that the team has a clear understanding of Definition of Done and how to meet it
- Coordinates with other teams on the Agile Release Train (ART) and communicates status to management
- Works with the Product Owner(s) to review and prioritize features
- Leads and facilitates SAFe ceremonies to include sprint planning, sprint review, demos, sprint retro, and PI planning
- Works with Product Owner(s) to develop User Stories to meet the Feature acceptance criteria
- Maintains and generates information radiators for the teams
- Collects and shares team metrics with the team, determines when new metrics are needed, and develops improvements in metrics
- Coaches teams on agile and scrum principles with a goal of continuous improvement
- Observes team dynamics, recognizes strengths and weaknesses of individual team member's contributions, and coaches the team as a whole driving improvements in productivity
- Creates a fun sharing and learning environment, experimenting with various ideas to improve delivery including pair-programming and cross-functional training
- Promotes teamwork to achieve sprint goals
- Leads teams towards agile maturity
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university. Relevant work experience may be substituted for a degree.
- Experience working as a Scrum Master or Team Lead for a software development or similar technical team (3 years experience)
- Certified Scrum Master (CSM), SAFe Scrum Master (SSM) or similar agile project management certification (PMI-ACP)
- Experience using agile project management tools (e.g. Jira, VersionOne, Rallye, IBM RTC)
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills, and time management skills are a must
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced environment, across diverse systems and groups
- TS/SCI with Polygraph required
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
- Bachelor's degree in a technical field such as System Engineering, Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering Science, Engineering Management, or related discipline
- Experience working with large software systems including hardware integration and test
- Experience working within an Agile environment or program
- Experience working with multi-disciplinary technical development teams
- Experience using SAFe as the agile development methodology
- Experience-affecting change in organizations working towards agile adoption
- Experience with applying test automation, test-driven development, continuous integration, and continuous deployment to achieve built-in quality by the team
- Experience using Kanban as a means to improve flow on support teams
About BAE Systems Intelligence & Security BAE Systems, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of BAE Systems plc, an international defense, aerospace and security company which delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. Improving the future and protecting lives is an ambitious mission, but it’s what we do at BAE Systems. Working here means using your passion and ingenuity where it counts – defending national security with breakthrough technology, superior products, and intelligence solutions. As you develop the latest technology and defend national security, you will continually hone your skills on a team—making a big impact on a global scale. At BAE Systems, you’ll find a rewarding career that truly makes a difference.
Intelligence & Security (I&S), based in McLean, Virginia, designs and delivers advanced defense, intelligence, and security solutions that support the important missions of our customers. Our pride and dedication shows in everything we do—from intelligence analysis, cyber operations and IT expertise to systems development, systems integration, and operations and maintenance services. Knowing that our work enables the U.S. military and government to recognize, manage and defeat threats inspires us to push ourselves and our technologies to new levels.
At BAE Systems, we celebrate the array of skills, experiences, and perspectives our employees bring to the table. For us, differences are a source of strength. We’re laser-focused on high performance, and we work hard every day to nurture an inclusive culture where all employees can innovate and thrive. Here, you will not only build your career, but you will also enjoy work-life balance, uncover new experiences, and collaborate with passionate colleagues.
Who We Are
You're used to protecting what matters most.
Our team has the privilege and the responsibility of knowing that the work we do really matters. Our work is vital to the armed forces personnel and major corporations who rely on us to protect, equip and support them where it counts; to the security and prosperity of the nations we serve; to our skilled and talented people; to the local communities where we are based; and to the wider community who invest in, supply and engage with us. At BAE Systems, everyone can make a difference.
We believe that a diverse workforce inspires creativity and drives innovation. We respect and value the huge variety of skills, abilities and perspectives that our people bring to our business. We celebrate our differences and aim to recruit and develop talent from all backgrounds, championing the strength that a truly inclusive and collaborative workplace gives to our company culture and performance.
Enjoy a flexible environment that values your work-life balance and helps you perform at your best.
On the job training, leadership programs, collaboration with leading experts – excellence is built into your career development whether you are just starting out as an apprentice or are an experienced professional.
We’re united by trust, camaraderie and a shared ambition to lead the world in our field. It helps that we’re nice people too.
See your contribution, making real change as breakthrough technology and intelligence solutions reshape the landscape for our customers.
What We Offer+ Warrior Integration Program (Est. 2008)
This program was created to assist in the employment, transition, education, and development of wounded warriors. Through mentoring, partnership, education, and leadership, we vow to serve our veterans in the same manner they served our country. WIP provides mission-centered work that gives wounded warriors the opportunity to contribute, providing a path for career progression.
Camo to Corporate underpins all of our military recruiting and veteran efforts. We participate in annual career workshops and partner with VA employment reps to identify opportunities for vets at BAE Systems. We’re also proud members of Joining Forces, the Veteran Jobs Mission and Hiring our Heroes - initiatives focused on helping vets and their spouses find meaningful careers.
Meet Our Veterans
All of my co-workers have been very helpful with my transition into the company and in my training as a Common Missile Warning Systems technician. The camaraderie of the other WIP employees has also been instrumental in my transition out of the Marine Corps.
Retired Cpl. J. Munoz
Operating Enduring Freedom